Sunday 8 January 2012

The Moon Phases

I love astronomy and a while back I noticed something strange about the moon which I don't think many people know about.

Over 10 years ago I went to Australia with a stop over in Singapore. At the time the moon was a crescent. Arriving in Singapore I noticed that the moon appeared on it's side (looking like a smiley face). Then in Australia instead of the sun being reflected from the right side (as in the UK) it was being reflected on the left side and that the moon's "seas" (the dark areas) where in opposite places than I'm used to seeing.

 So why is this? I think as you move up/down the planet your point of view changes. You view the moon at a different angel. As you travel down the moon appears to rotate clockwise.
Viewed from the Northern Hemisphere
Viewed from near the Equator
Viewed from the Southern Hemisphere

No comments:

Post a Comment